This past weekend was Super Bowl 50! While some people were probably excited about the game, we were more excited for the commercials. This year had a LOT of celebrity appearances, some hilarious moments, and some very awkward concepts. Here are some of the more memorable commercials from this year’s Super Bowl (in no particular order).
- Toyota Prius #GoPriusGo – This commercial focused on the longest car chase being performed by a Toyota Prius. What was fun about this commercial was how far they took it. The #GoPriusGo hashtag turned the chase into a national phenomenon, in the world of the commercial anyway. Would we want a Prius as our getaway car? Maybe we’d reconsider that answer now. The other Prius commercial, Heck on Wheels, poked fun at the stereotype of the typical Prius driver as well. It’s always good when a brand can laugh at themselves.
- Kia Optima Christopher Walken Closet – The premise of using Christopher Walken and going into the “Walken closet” was definitely a clever play on words. Comparing beige socks and colorful socks with pazaz to a car? Not sure if that was the best connection, but we certainly appreciate how committed Kia was to harnessing Walken’s strangeness.
- Hyundai Elantra Ryanville – Another commercial with a celebrity that was used well. The concept that there’s a whole town where Ryan Reynolds is the only man around probably got a lot of women excited. Maybe even excited to try out a Hyundai Elantra if it meant Ryan Reynolds would know up.
- Hyundai Genesis First Date – Kevin Hart was the well-used celebrity for this car commercial. Hyundai nailed the situation of being on a first date and being intimidated by the father. Kevin Hart brought the perfect amount of humor to the commercial. Hyundai did well again.
- Budweiser #GiveADamn – A very relevant drunk driving commercial with a classy British twist. How could you disagree with the straightforward delivery form Helen Mirren? That’s right, you can’t.
- The Bud Light Party – Before the game, Bud Light released a teaser of the Bud Light Party commercial featuring Seth Rogen and Amy Schumer. The teaser looked pretty good, so we were looking forward to the full commercial. It had some solid jokes, including one pertaining to caucuses, and an unexpected cameo from Paul Rudd. It’s true, we all do love Paul Rudd!
- Doritos Ultrasound – While slightly disturbing, this was definitely a memorable commercial. The father at an ultrasound is eating Doritos and the pregnant mother gets upset. The father sees the baby’s positive reaction to the Doritos and is playing around with it. The mother gets mad and throws the Doritos across the room. The baby sees this and proceeds to chase after it…..leaving the mother early. Like we said, very strange, but definitely one people will remember.
- Mountain Dew Puppymonkeybaby – Quite possibly the strangest spot of the whole Super Bowl. Mountain Dew Kickstart is supposed to be a great combination of three things: Mountain Dew, juice, and caffeine. And so it makes sense that a combination of three great things, a puppy monkey and baby, would deliver this drink to the masses, right? That’s certainly what Mountain Dew thought. Most people were just wondering if this was an actual commercial or not. But hey, it was memorable!
- Super Bowl Babies – This commercial was an adorable and hilarious concept. It’s premise is that 9 months after a Super Bowl victory, the winning cities see a spike in births. Makes sense since people are celebrating a huge victory. So this commercial has Super Bowl babies singing a Super Bowl version of Seal’s Kiss From A Rose. The crying Seahawks baby from 2014 was an especially funny moment.
- Apartments.com Moving On Up – This commercial had the star power of Jeff Goldblum singing while riding up the side of a building on a piano and L’il Wayne grilling out with George Washington. While the celebrities are a little unconventional, it was a fun commercial to watch.
- OIC Envy – While this may not have been the best commercial, it definitely had audiences rooting for the poor constipated guy. The whole commercial is following a guy who is suffering from constipation due to opioid use and seeing so many other people enjoying their ability to “go”. Not your typical Super Bowl commercial, but boy did we feel bad for the guy!
- PayPal New Money – This was a bold, eye-catching spot that kept our attention. With plenty of rivals in it’s arena, PayPal manages to create an ad that is modern and vibrant, making sure we remember who PayPal is.